(2) Installation, Part One

A few days before I planned to begin the installation, I laid the mosaics out on the floor to see which pieces I would group together. Then I gathered my supplies and sketched out a draft of where the mosaics would be placed once I got to the facility.

Here are some of the initial groupings...

Anne Briggs, Patricia Rockwood, Sharon Haddock/Lisa Stevens

Pat Mitchell, Ilona Bryan, Valerie Hornby

Eve Lynch




The newly painted concrete walls made for a perfect canvas. There was virtually no surface preparation to do. I simply brushed the dust off the wall with a small broom and got to work.


I prepped my mastic and began by lightly coating the surface of the wall where each panel was to be placed. I also "buttered" the backs of most of the panels paying special attention to the mosaic's edges and then lightly pushed each panel into place using a wide grout float.

The mastic had a "life" of about 2 hours after being mixed and I managed to squeak another two out of it thanks to the Florida humidity. Everything was left to dry overnight.
 
Here are all of the photos from the first day...

"Linda Lane" - the corridor between the two buildings



One of the walls prior to installation.
My teenage "apprentice" on the mosaic stepping stone footpath.
Checking placement on one of the mosaic panels by artist Patricia Rockwood.
The first panels that I installed. Artists Patricia Rockwood, Sharon Haddock/Lisa Stevens, Anne Briggs.
Another view of the first panels I installed along with a tiki hut birdhouse on the wall.
Another perspective of the 3 panels. Artists: Patricia Rockwood, Sharon Haddock/Lisa Stevens, Anne Briggs.
Installed mosaics on the Pre-K building wall.
Installing artist Linda Smith's 3 mosaic panels.
Artist Linda Smith's 3 mosaic panels next to the play area.

Another view of artist Linda Smith's 3 mosaic panels. Very 3D!
Artist Barb Frizzell's 4 mosaic panels outside the Pre-K door.
Four mosaic panels on the Pre-K building wall. Artists: Pat Mitchell, Ilona Bryan, Valerie Hornby & Marita Schauerte
Installing my "Invader" style alien mosaic under the Pre-K window. Artist: Eve Lynch

Installing my Invader mosaic. Artist Eve Lynch.
Applying the mastic and pressing the Invader mosaic onto the wall.
My Invader style mosaic at the end of Day 1. Artist: Eve Lynch.

No comments:

Post a Comment